The Vandalia Leader

Follow Us On:

Vandalia Country Club

For more than 50 years, Vandalia area residents have made the Vandalia Country Club their second home.
The nine-hole golf course complex in Curryville off Highway 54 features a pro shop, clubhouse, game room, meeting hall, outdoor pool, and a beautiful setting for any golf outing.
The Vandalia Country Club was established May 7, 1958 under the original name of “The Vandalia Recreational Development Company.”
A group of Vandalia businessmen who were avid golfers and members of the Pike County Country Club became aware of a parcel of land consisting of 80 acres located five miles east of Vandalia that might be a possible sight for a golf course and country club. It was on the north side of Highway 54 just east of what was known as the “Five Mile Curve.”
An organizational general membership meeting was held on Feb. 26, 1959, for the purpose of elected a board of directors.
The following were elected to this board: Wade Belts, Roy Uhey, Harold Fuller, Claude Collier, J.R. Dougherty, William George, Henry Harp, Rual Morris and J.W. Mitchell. Wade Belts was elected as the board’s first president.
Work progressed through the spring of 1959, allowed for golf later in the spring and for the construction of the club swimming pool. The first official round of golf was celebrated with a grand opening May 17, 1959. The grand opening of the pool was held May 25, 1959. The pool was open a total of 75 days that summer with 3,388 swimmers registering at the pool that first year.
Many felt that because of the country club pool, the need for a city pool became eminent.
Improvements at the club, particularly the clubhouse, were made in the next few years and by the end of 1964 the clubhouse, as it is today, was complete. Donations and volunteer help from the membership made it happen.
In 1964 the Vandalia Recreational Development Corporation, the original owners, released their holdings thereby giving ownership to the members.
By the end of 1964 there was growing interest in converting the sand greens to grass. The main component would be the need for a water supply.
A lake was formed on the property with additional donations from members.
The same people who helped lay out the golf course were again contracted. Even though this was to be a major project, the golf season of 1967 started with grass greens.
In the mid-’60s the Van-Far School Board initiated high school golf as a spring sport. The Vandalia Country Club became the home of the Van-Far golf program. It remains so today.
For more information on the course or to find out more information regarding their next tournament, please call the pro shop at 573-594-6666.