Through the generosity of local residents, businesses, community betterment groups, and grant sponsors, the Eastern Missouri Family YMCA has raised $1.5 million for the project. Due to deadlines associated with the Neighborhood Assistance Program (NAP) Grant, more active progression towards beginning construction of the project needs to begin by December 31, 2016.
To comply with this deadline requirement, Architect, Bill Howell, Construction Manager, Tony Grove, and various YMCA Committee members have met to review the project floor plan, budget, and schedule. Howell and Grove have developed a plan and budget to construct a very basic YMCA building with available project funds.
Utilizing a basic concept, Howell and Grove will have project plans and specifications available for bidding in December 2016. Contractors will be given a time period to submit a bid and select bidders will be interviewed as part of the contractor selection process. While contractors are preparing their bids, the City of Vandalia will be overseeing site preparation for the YMCA facility. Selection of the contractor will be announced in the Spring of 2017 and a construction schedule will follow.
While current funds may not provide the facility that was originally desired, taking a basic approach will get the YMCA up and running. The YMCA facility is expected to have the following features:
• Full Size Gymnasium, which can be utilized for organized youth and adult basketball, volleyball, or other court style sports.
The gym floor will originally be a concrete surface; however, it will be constructed in a manner to allow for the installation of a wood floor in the future.
• A walking track that goes around the inside perimeter of the building.
• A Wellness Center with exercise equipment. The amount of exercise equipment may be limited in the beginning, but there will be room to add equipment.
• Activity rooms for instructor led exercise classes, such as aerobics, yoga, zumba, etc.
• A Y Café for members of all ages to socialize, relax and enjoy a morning coffee or afternoon snack. The Y Café will feature a small kitchen that will be used to serve concessions during basketball tournaments.
• A meeting room will offer a designated space for area residents to hold club meetings, offer craft courses, or other group events.
• Employ a Program Director to organize sports activities, schedule exercise classes, hire coaches and instructors, and champion the success of the facility.
Funding for all YMCA projects is solely based upon the generosity of donations and grants, no tax dollars can be associated with the project. Project fund raising will continue throughout the construction of the facility, plus YMCA committee members will continue to apply for grants. Additional funds raised will help ensure sustainability and enhance the facility to create a more enjoyable and functional environment for members.
Great things are always achievable, but sometimes you have to start at a smaller scale. The area is at the threshold of making this project a reality. If an individual approaches you about making a donation, be sure to consider the benefits the YMCA will provide to you and your family. Any donation is greatly appreciated!!! Please visit the project website, www.emoymca.org to access a pledge form or email email@example.com.