The Van-Far Alumni & Friends met on Monday, June 27 at 7 p.m. in the high school library. It was noted the date change accommodated the Chamber’s Music on Main Street held Thursday evening, June 23. Muriel Beshears, President, called the meeting to order at 7 p.m. Present were Brenda Owens, Jeanne George, Averil and Muriel Beshears, Julie Gatson, Alan and Loralee Adam, and Van-Far Principals Cindy Pirch and Brian Hummel.
Minutes of the March 31 meeting were read and approved.
Jeannie George, treasurer, reported a balance of $4,850.63. A memorial in the name of Lois Jeffries from the Retired Personnel of Van-Far Schools was received. The endowment fund balance was $124,001.06.
Alan Adam reported no change in membership.
The Scholarship Committee had awarded 2016 graduates the following: a $500 scholarship each to Marissa Cox and Renee Nelson; a 4-year renewable scholarship for a total award of $5,000 to Madison Orr; a $500 scholarship each in the name of Shirley Forgy to Dalton Buie and Hailey Hopke. It was announced the scholarship deadline for alumni is June 30. Loralee and Alan Adam will update the framed scholarship announcement that hangs in the high school hallway.
New business was the All-School Reunion to be held September 25 at 12 p.m. noon.
• Chad Ennis, Austin, Texas, graduate class of 1995, will be the speaker. Muriel will present him with a John Stockley Van-Far print and note cards. The note cards may also be used as favors on the tables.
• Country Cupboard will cater the meal with the same menu as in the past and ticket purchase of $20 is due Wednesday, September 21. There will be a $25 charge for a ticket at the door.
• Decorations will be the same as last year using the pennants, megaphones, and gold chrysanthemums. There was a motion by Loralee Adam to pay Mr. Hummel for the use of his black tablecloths. There was a second by Averil Beshears.
At Mr. Hummel’s suggestion, Jeannie George made a motion to amend the motion to read there would be no payment and alumni members would launder the cloths with appreciation to Brian Hummel. The amendment passed and the amended motion carried. Entertainment will be the Van-Far Alumni and Teacher group of Ruth Calcaterra, Ruth Nation, Deanna Divins, and Brenda Owens. Their accompanist will be Trevor Winders. It is understood complimentary meal tickets will be given to those five individuals.
• Set-up for the All-School Reunion will be Friday, September 23. Alumni will decorate at 3 p.m. Tables and chairs will be in place by Van-Far students during the afternoon classes.
• Advertising will be one ad in “The Vandalia Leader” and “Peoples’ Tribune” due to the cost of nearly $400 for two ads per publication in 2015.
• Megan George will make invitations and they will be sent by the end of July.
• The treasurer will pay insurance and other fees for use of the school building. It was noted there is no longer a flat fee.
• Programs will be chaired by Jeannie George using Cindy Pirch’s word document from past programs.
• Mr. Cucciarre, vocal and instrumental music teacher, may be contacted after the start of school for student involvement to sing/lead the national anthem and The Pledge of Allegiance.
• Tours of the building will begin at 11:15 a.m. with NHS sponsor Jackie Waller to be contacted for student helpers.
• Alan and Loralee Adam will make the punch for the social hour beginning at 11:30 a.m. and they will supply napkins and cups.
• Cindy Pirch will also acquaint new principal Kim Pafford with Cindy’s notes of alumni meetings.
Muriel Beshears will check the availability of Memorial cards at Waters Funeral Home, with designation to the alumni fund.
It was announced August 19 is the first home football game. Monday, August 22 from 4–6 p.m. will be an Open House at both buildings. The Alumni group is invited to have a table advertising the organization. September 16 is Homecoming and Cindy Pirch made a motion the alumni group have a registration table at both entrances to the game, take attendance to determine the decade of alumni with the best attendance, and award the spirit plaque which hangs in the high school building to that graduating class. There was a second by Loralee Adam and the motion carried. Averil and Muriel Beshears and Joyce Nolan will attend the tables. It was noted the Alumni pins may be given out and “Save the Date” flyers and tickets concerning the All School Reunion will be available.
Alumni news may be emailed to Wes Rowden at firstname.lastname@example.org for the Van-Far Web Page in Word format. Loralee Adam questioned if more advertisement of an All-School Reunion would aid attendance. It was noted that wording has been consistently used. Debby Moore will be contacted with information of the reunion for her class get together July 9. Appreciation to Cindy Pirch for all her efforts towards forming the Alumni & Friends was expressed as this was Cindy’s last meeting before her retirement in two days. The next meeting will be Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 7 p.m. Adjournment came at 8:10 p.m.