After going several months with very minimal progress, the Lincoln School Project has hit overdrive in recent weeks thanks to new sewer and water line renovation.
The Concerned Citizens for Lincoln School, with the help of project manager Charles Overton, have officially completed the first of three phases of the project.
This included digging four foot trenches and the placement of approximately 200 feet of new PVC, sewer lines, and new underground water lines. This will accommodate a new women’s bathroom, new men’s bathroom, and a new kitchen.
“(We would) like to thank the volunteers from the community for their participation,” Overton said on behalf of the Concerned Citizens group. “The backhoe operator and plumbing consultant Nathan Ditmer was invaluable for us to complete the first phase of the art renovation.”
A major challenge was drilling through the hard foundation of the Lincoln School. It reportedly took 30 hours to drill through it for the new sewer lines and water lines.
Currently, the project is in Phase 2, which consists of finishing the inside drain and water systems.
With the goal in mind of making the facility a historical venue, Overton designed the plumbing systems to allow for two bathrooms on the second floor. One will have a shower for entertainers from various cities to use after their performance on the 100-year-old stage and a historical auditorium. It will also help for them to not have to make a trip to go downstairs to use the facilities.
The project’s intention is to bring the entire community together in an effort to promote culture, history, and the revitalization of a world class community.
Before the recent momentum, the project had taken a small step backwards when two of the school’s new windows were broken by vandals.
The group currently plans to raise the $27,000 needed to pay off the building.
For more information on the Lincoln School Project, to make a donation, or offer volunteer assistance, those interested can contact Salmon at either 573-594-2774 or 573-239-1113.
More on the project
In 2006, the Lincoln School Restoration Committee received two loans from First National Bank of Audrain County to purchase the old Lincoln School Building for $42,895 and $10,000 to remove the old slate roof and install a new shingle roof.
For the past couple of years, the Lincoln School was named to the Watched Properties List by the Missouri Alliance for Historic Preservation.
The building was built in 1927.
It was placed on the National Historical Registrar in 1996 and has a 501C-3 tax status.