Highlights from the week: A church service was held in the chapel on Sunday morning. In the afternoon, Military Order of the Cooties sponsored a bingo game and BBQ for the residents and the Mexico Elks Lodge #919 provided a Flag Day ceremony. Sputnik Launched the Soviets was the topic of conversation on Monday morning with a group of residents in the dining room and in the afternoon everyone enjoyed music by the Air National Guard Band out in the pavilion. A fishing trip to Martinsburg was the highlight on Tuesday followed by a group going out for supper in the evening and then attending the concert at Hardin Park. Pizza was ordered and enjoyed by the residents with June birthday on Wednesday and in the afternoon the Vandalia VFW Post & Auxiliary #2173 sponsored birthday bingo for the residents. Bingo, shuffleboard and pool were the highlights on Thursday morning followed by Catholic Communion in the chapel. In the afternoon a fish fry was held using the fish that were catch at recent fish outings. “Pass the Trash” was enjoyed on Friday morning by the card players and in the afternoon everyone was entertained by Taylor Bramblett with her dancing and they also enjoyed popcorn. A Cardinal Party was held in the dining room on Saturday afternoon.
The next Amateur Radio Club meeting will be at the facility on Tuesday, July 17 at 7 p.m. Come and give your support to the men who gave so much to this country.
Alzheimer Support Group will meet on Wednesday, July 18th at 1:30 p.m. at the facility. The public is welcome to attend.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR!! MVH Assistance League Golf Tournament is scheduled for Saturday, August 11, 2012 at Arthur Hills Golf Course. For additional information, contact Susan Paden, Supervisor of Volunteer Services at 573-581-1088 ext. 1286.
Audrain County VFW Post No. 3772 and Missouri Veterans’ Home Assistance League will sponsor a Poker Run on Saturday, September 29th. The ride will be for all vehicles. Watch for more details or call Dan Carson at 573-581-4848.
• There are over 2 million Women Veterans in the United States today
• In 2000, 159,000 Women Veterans were using the VA Health Care
• In 2011, 337,000 Women Veterans were using the VA Health Care
• 33% of Women Veterans are dealing with mental health issues
• 20% of Male Veterans are dealing with mental health issues
• 14.5% of Women make up Active Duty today
• 18% of Women make up National Guard/Reserves
• 11.6% of Women make up Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), Operation Iraqi
Freedom (OIF) and Operation New Dawn (OND)
• 248,515 Women Veterans are registered at the Women in Military Service for America Memorial
• 38,206 Women Veterans reside in the state of Missouri. The above facts were taken from the Missouri Women Veterans Newsletter – July-September 2012 issue