On Saturday, September 26, at approximately 7:13 p.m., the Mexico Public Safety Department responded to the 1800 block of Springdale Court in reference to a fire in a trash dumpster.
Responding personnel found a dumpster behind an apartment building with the plastic lid melted off and a large amount of flame inside.
The fire was contained and extinguished with no damage to surrounding property.
Information from some alert citizens led MPSD to determine that the fire had been caused by a male juvenile who was playing with a butane lighter. The officers spoke with the juvenile and his guardians. The case is being referred to the 12th Circuit Court Juvenile Division.
There were no injuries from the incident.