The Vandalia Area Historical Society is pleased to announce the receipt of $50,000 from the Rual Morris Memorial Foundation in support of the Society’s Cornerstone Project. In addition, the Rual Morris Foundation is committing additional funds in the amount of $2,500 per year for years 2013 through 2015 to be used for other Society projects in support of the Vandalia area.
The Society’s Cornerstone Project is also being funded by the Missouri Economic Development Dept. – Neighborhood Assistance Program, The A. P. Green Foundation, and the Society itself. Funds are being used for the acquisition and renovation of three of Vandalia’s downtown buildings, allowing for the Society’s Historical Museum expansion and commercial rental space. This project is earmarked as the beginning of a larger vision of renovation of Vandalia’s core downtown business and park district.
“We, the members of the Vandalia Area Historical Society, would like to extend our wholehearted thank-you to those serving on the Rual Morris Memorial Foundation board,” said Vandalia Area Historical Society President on behalf of the group in a press release.
Born near Jonesburg, Mo. to Roz and Lola Morris on December 22, 1919, Rual Morris was raised in the St. Louis area and graduated as valedictorian of his class at Maplewood High School.
Upon completion of military service in WW II he accepted a position with United Bank and Trust Company, St. Louis, where his father held the position of executive vice president. Rual joined the Vandalia State Bank in 1946. He became director of the bank in 1950 and president in 1961. He retired as president in 1984.
The Rual Morris Foundation was established on January 25, 2007 to help Vandalia and Audrain County projects, focusing on the arts, education, and sports.
Board members are: Chairman Roger Young, L. E. Kohl, Mary Steiner, Nona Jane Oliver, and Paul Seigfreid.