Vandalia’s Johanna Rue was fortunate to escape her Vandalia home this past Saturday afternoon when the back room of her house was engulfed with flames.
According to Vandalia Fire Chief Rusty Strother, Rue was asleep in her home on the 300 block of Union St. when the fire occurred around 4:30 p.m. The Vandalia Fire Department arrived at the scene to find a structure fire with flames visible from the road.
The fire likely started in the back room on Rue’s side of the duplex where there was a space heater. Strother said the cause of the fire is unknown as the department is still trying to determine if the fire started with the space heater or if it was something electrical that started the blaze. Firefighters were at the scene until 7:23 p.m.
Water damage has forced both the Rue family and Carr family to leave the duplex.
As of press time, The Vandalia Leader was unable to confirm what donated items either family may need as a result of the fire.