The Vandalia Area Fair Association raised more than $11,600 with its annual Fundraiser Auction and Dinner held last Saturday at the Sacred Heart Parish Center in Vandalia.
Approximately 70%-75% of the money raised went towards a bank payment and an insurance payment on Monday.
“We had a good turnout and a good time,” said Vandalia Area Fair Association President Nancy Jennings. “It was also probably the warmest weather I’ve ever seen at the auction.”
The good weather led to a fun time indoors as around 145 entries were auctioned off through live and silent auctions.
Tyler Carlyle, age 4, was the evening’s most inspirational bidder as he couldn’t help but be excited when he saw a Tonka Truck up for a live auction, which was donated by Audrain County Recorder of Deeds Janis Deimeke.
As the bid total grew so did Tyler’s anticipation of him finding a way to get the item.
He stood on his chair with both hands raised, determined to get his truck.
The competitive bidding stopped at $80 as his parents Jeff and Angela Carlyle found themselves out of any other option but to get the truck.
His mom Angela got a big hug after the purchase.
Several of the large ticket items included:
• There were 45 units of Channel 3707R2 Seed Beans, donated by Culwell Seed & Custom Spraying (Shannon and Felicity Culwell, Jr.), that went for $2,250.
• There were 40 units of Lewis Untreated Seed Beans, donated by Service Supply-Mike and Lori Culwell-Lewis Hybrids, that went for $1,600.
• Two sets of three bags filled with Pioneer P1151 AM Seed Corn, donated by Pioneer Seeds-Chad Wallace, went for a total of $855.
• Marty Nation’s Amish handmade quilt was auctioned off for $325.
• Mary Jones’ famous money jar was auctioned off for $260.
• Recliner, donated by Howards and Waters Furniture, went for around $225-$235.
Jennings said approximately 150 people ate food at the event. The menu included ham, fish, and fried potatoes. Baked beans and coleslaw were donated by Dena Cox, of CoStar Catering in Centralia.
Debra Ingram provided this year’s entertainment.
Those helping to make the event possible included John and Mary Wallace; Angela’s Dance Company, LLC; The Country Cupboard; Mary Jones; Rick Goodhart; Dean Baker; Brenda Foree; Sue Giltner; Nancy Nation; Kelly Mink; and Dena Cox (CoStar Catering).
Donations were received by POET Biorefining (Laddonia), Snuffy Smith, Bud’s Towing, The People’s Tribune, and State Farm Insurance-Ramsey Dickerman.
More on the Fair Board
The Vandalia Area Fair Association Board includes Nancy Jennings (President), Rick Goodhart (Vice-President), Kelly Mink (Treasurer), and Mary Jones (Secretary).
Members include Merle and Renee James; Michael Evans; Nancy Nation; Mickey and Kelly Mink; Bob Giltner; Sam Chatman; Teresa Stuart; Mike Allen; Bobby Davis; Tom Culwell; Jeff Carlyle; Danny Wood; Mike Reynolds; along with Jim and Connie Boyd.
This year’s Fair will be held from Wednesday-Saturday, July 8-11.