Vandalia Leader

Follow Us On:

Facility plan redesigned for YMCA Project in Vandalia

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 10:07 am

New YMCA sign shows goal for groundbreaking in Fall 2016 in Vandalia.

New YMCA sign shows goal for groundbreaking in Fall 2016 in Vandalia.

The Eastern Missouri Family YMCA Project has redesigned the facility plan and adjusted the project goals due to the Audrain County Library’s decision to fund their own building.
The current floor plan for the project is approximately 19,000 square feet and includes a full basketball court, a wellness center (treadmills, elipticals, weights, etc.), fitness instruction rooms (aerobics, yoga, zumba, etc.), a walking track, a child watch area, a meeting room, a kitchen, and a Y Café (youth area).
The budget for the current floor plan and facility equipment is $2.8 million. Currently, $1.5 million has been raised from local donors, businesses, and grants.
On June 1, an application was submitted for the Mabee Grant; which, if awarded, will generate approximately an additional $500,000.
The Mabee Grant is a challenge grant which requires the communities to raise 80% of the project funds and the grant provides the remaining 20%. Notification regarding Mabee Grant approval will occur sometime in July and the area will have one year to raise the appropriate funds for the project. With the continued community support and progress towards funding the project, a ground breaking goal of Fall of 2016 has been established. Actual construction of the facility is estimated to take one year.
The YMCA committee members have been volunteering and dedicating their personal time to ensure this project continues forward. In addition, the donations that have been received are greatly appreciated.
Over the next several months, the YMCA Project will host an informational table at various community events. Please visit the table to find out more about the project, how you can help make this project a reality, and  help us reach our goal.