Several Van-Far students were present at last week’s Van-Far R-I School Board meeting to be recognized for their participation in this year’s D.A.R. Essay Contest. Van-Far Elementary Principal Brian Hummel introduced the winners of the D.A.R. “A Child’s Journey Through Ellis Island” Essay Contest.
• 5th grade winners: 1) Ennis Childs; 2) MaKenna Ungelsbee; 3)Cameron Jones.
• 6th grade winners: 1) Annalynn Culwell; 2)Skylar Curtis; 3) Madison Swank.
Mrs. Joy Davis introduced the winners of the “Christopher Columbus” Essay Contest.
• 8th grade winners: 1) Jordan Garner; 2) Jayle Jennings.
• High School Winner: 1) Taryn Adam. Mrs. Davis also announced that Kayleigh Kohl was chosen as the D.A.R. Good Citizen.
In Executive Session, the board approved a year extension for the contracts of Superintendent Dr. Stephen Hunter, Principal Brian Hummel, and Principal Cindy Pirch.
Compensation will be determined at a later date.
Teacher Jenniffer Hanson was also approved as the Play Sponsor.
Dr. Hunter reported that current enrollment is 611 students, with 238 in the Jr./Sr. high school and 373 in the elementary.
In his report, his also noted the following items: • The key box for the bus lot has been installed.
• The high school gym floor is back to normal following the moisture issues.
• Ryan Morris has been working on repairs to the elementary hallway furnace.
• We are waiting for the weather to improve for removal of the trailer.
•The Facilities Committee met and reviewed items on the bond issue.
• Tony Lower has been checking computer capability preparing for MAP testing.
According to the official meeting minutes, Principal Hummel noted:
• His attendance at the “Leader in Me Symposium” in St. Louis.
• Approximately 70 students participated in auditions for the upcoming school play.
• Bubblegum Day raised $175 for the YMCA/Library Project.
• Trevor Winders was the winner of the Elementary Spelling Bee.
• Upcoming events are the PTO Family Date Night and a Severe Weather Program.
Principal Pirch reported the following:
• Upcoming fundraising events for the school play are “Painting with the Indians” and “Belle’s Tea.”
The play “Beauty and the Beast” will be presented April 10-11.
• Van-Far will be sponsoring the Scholar Bowl in April.
• Abby Robinson, FCCLA State Vice President, will attend Nationals in Washington D.C. in July.
Shelly Buie said the VFTA Carnival will be held on March 27. The Project Prom “31 Bag” Bingo will be held at 6 p.m. on Saturday, February 20.
The MSBA Region 17 meeting will be hosted by Van-Far. Registration begins at 6 p.m.
A first reading of MSBA Policy INC-Speakers at District Events was done as the update is in response to House Bill 1303.
The Jr. High football cooperative agreement between Van-Far and Community R-VI was approved for the 2015-16 season.
An addition of a seventh snow day was noted in the approving of the 2015-2016 calendar.