Van-Far Superintendent Dr. Stephen Hunter gave several facility updates during the school board’s short meeting held last Thursday.
According to meeting minutes, the following updates were provided:
• The south pods are painted and the drop ceiling frame has been installed. The other pods have dry wall up and are mudded.
• The front breezeway is in place.
• HVAC installation is complete with some finish work remaining.
• The project is moving along well and movers are scheduled for August 16.
• An old boiler in the Jr. High School locker room did not pass inspection and will be replaced with a smaller water heater.
• Other miscellaneous items include a dead tree in the courtyard will need to be removed, the gym floor will be dry finished next week, old carpet and tile have been removed and will be retiled in the Ag room, some tile replaced in high school cafeteria and the elementary office will be retiled. Mr. Rowden is painting in the gym hallway, and other areas.
Resignation letters were read and accepted for AEL Program Director Shannon Moore, custodian Donald Furlong, and Para Brenda Owens.
Pam Kuda shared her concern regarding the current FACS/FCCLA advisor vacancy.
She stated the regional officers have to have an advisor to attend meetings and she wanted to know what would take place if the vacancy was not filled. Kuda had spoken with Principal Kim Pafford about the concerns.
Superintendent Dr. Hunter said an advisor can be appointed, with DESE approval, for the organization.
During Executive Session, the board hired Alissa McCoy contingent on completing all requirements.
They also hired Jack Sims for grounds maintenance.
A tax rate hearing will be held on August 18 at 6:45 p.m. before the regular board meeting.
The finance committee will meet August 11 at 5:30 p.m. at the library. Superintendent Dr. Hunter will attend a DESE Conference in July for updated financial and legislative information.
The 2016-17 federal program allocations were presented and are slightly raised from last year.
The third and final reading of Policy GCPB (Resignation of Staff Members) will be done next month.
The MSBA Fall Conference will be held September 30-October 2 at Tan-Tar-A.
The 2016A MSBA Policy Updates were approved.
A special education contract with Behavior Support Services LLC for 2016-17 was approved.
A pool party for students in grades K-8 will be held from 7-9 p.m. on Tuesday, August 9.
A “Thank You” note was read by board member Pete Nasir from the Barnes Family.