The following churches sent updates to their weekly schedules:
• At the Vandalia United Methodist Church, the Sewing Group will meet on Thursday, December 22 at 1 p.m.
On Saturday, December 24, a Christmas Eve Candle Light Service will take place at 11 p.m.
On Sunday, December 25 at 8:45 a.m., Sunday School will take place and the Worship Service will begin at 10 a.m.
The TOPS meeting will be on Tuesday, December 27 at 5 p.m.
• The Farber Baptist Church will have Worship Service on Christmas Day, December 25 at 10 a.m. There will be no Sunday School and no evening service.
On Wednesday, December 28 at 7 p.m. Discipleship Training will take place.
• Vandalia First Presbyterian Church will have on Wednesday, December 21, a 5 p.m. Choral Children’s Christmas Program. Following will be a Carry-in and an Open House at the manse. At 7 p.m. will be the Longest Night Service. Ushers for the evening will be Deana Bybee and Justin Hopke and the greeters will be Ed and Brenda Babb.
On Saturday, December 24 at 11 p.m. will be a Candlelight Communion service with the Reverend Joel Montgomery. The ushers for Saturday will be Parker Wallace and Betsy Finley. Greeters for the service will be Monte and Marilyn Basinger.
On Christmas Day, Sunday December 25 at 10 a.m., Lessons and Carols with Curryville Presbyterian will take place at the First Presbyterian Church in Vandalia. Ushers for the day will be Becky Deppe and Shelly McAfee and the greeters will be Norman and Jane Heim.
• Faith Tabernacle COGIC, 907 West Home Street, in Vandalia, will be celebrating Christmas with a special Candle Light Service on Saturday, December 24 beginning at 5 p.m. There will be a short program and a sermonette by the Pastor before the lighting of the candles. Refreshments will be served after the service. The theme will be “Happy Birthday, Jesus.”
There will be no morning service on Sunday, December 25. Enjoy time with your family and friends. Remember Jesus is the reason for the season.
• The Laddonia Presbyterian Church, located at 205 West 5th Street, will host their annual Christmas Eve service on Saturday, December 24 at 5:30 p.m.
The service will feature candle lighting and communion. The public is invited.
The Christmas Eve Service will serve as their regular service meaning there will be no worship service on the fourth Sunday morning, December 25.
• St. John’s Lutheran Church announces that “Journey” is the name of a new praise and worship service which will be held on Sundays at 11:15 a.m. beginning weekly on January 8, 2017 in the Family Life Center of St. John’s Lutheran Church at the corner of Dorcas and Hendricks Streets, in Mexico.
This will be an informal praise service with modern music. Part of the service will be led by the praise team, “Ignite,” and the Reverend Donaldo Sonntag will have the message. Each message will be life applicable and deal with issues confronting people today, especially the younger generations. People at all stages in their life journey are invited to attend. The church is very sincere in asking people to come as they are – inside and out.
Refreshments will be served before and after the praise service. Children will be invited to attend their own activity during the message and prayers and will return for the closing portion.
Current Pastor, Reverend Donaldo Sonntag says that the church’s focus as they prepare to embark on this Journey is two-fold,
“We want to remain faithful to the Word of God, and we want to reach the community with the saving Gospel of Jesus Christ.”
St. John’s has been serving Mexico and the surrounding community for over 125 years.
Although it has offered a traditional divine service for all these years, it is now offering an alternate, informal style of worship at the 11:15 a.m. time.
Everyone is invited to attend and begin their own Journey to a new or closer relationship with Christ. For information visit the church’s website at journeystjohns.com or call the office at 573-581-5655.