The following area churches sent updates to their scheduled activities for the week of Wednesday, October 26-Tuesday, November 1.
• The First Presbyterian Church Bell Choir will meet on Wednesday, October 26 at 4:30 p.m. and the Adult Choir will meet at 5:15 p.m.
On Sunday, October 30, a New Member class and Sunday School will meet at 9 a.m. At 10 a.m., the Reverend Joel Montgomery will lead the Worship Service. The ushers for the day will be Becky Deppe and Betsy Finley.
• The United Methodist Church’s Sewing Group will meet on Thursday, October 27 at 1 p.m.
On Sunday, October 30, Sunday School classes will meet at 8:45 a.m. The Worship Service will follow at 10 a.m. and the community is invited to a “Halloweenie Roast” taking place at 4 p.m. Guests are welcome to join us for roasting hotdogs and decorating tiny pumpkins. Children and adults are welcome to wear costumes.
On Tuesday, November 1, the TOPS meeting will start at 5 p.m. followed by the Cub Scout Meeting at 6:45 p.m.
• New Harmony Christian Church will host their Annual Harvest Festival beginning at 3 p.m. on Sunday, October 30. The festival will include a hayride for the youth and the “young at heart.” A wiener roast will be enjoyed at 5 p.m. with hot dogs and drinks being provided. Bring finger foods to share and join in on the fun!
The Youth Group met at the church on Sunday afternoon to pack boxes for Operation Christmas Child. The items were sorted on two long rows of tables. The youth then filled the boxes with items from the tables and wrote personal notes to enclose in the boxes. They will continue to collect items during the next couple of weeks and fully anticipate meeting their goal of 100 boxes. They enjoyed listening to Christmas music while they packed and a hot chocolate bar and snacks after the work was done.
CWF will be meeting on Wednesday, October 26, to make final plans for the Lord’s Acre Sale to be held on Saturday, November 12. Proceeds from the supper and auction will be used to have the floor redone in the church annex. Proceeds from last year’s sale were used for new fans and lights throughout the church building.
• Faith Tabernacle COGIC, 907 West Home, in Vandalia will celebrate it’s 50th year church anniversary, “Founder’s Week,” for three days; Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 28-30. The theme for the celebration is “Continuing the Journey.”
On Friday evening at 6:30 p.m., Pastor and Elder Richard Smith will be speaking on the history of the church and the service will include the dedication of a plaque which was purchased when the Memory Walk in June was sponsored. Refreshments will be served following the service.
The Saturday services will begin at 1 p.m. with guest speaker Bishop Frank Douglas, the Jurisdictional Bishop of Missouri Western First of Churches of God in Christ, of Kansas City. Dinner will be served following the service.
The Sunday Service will begin at 2 p.m. with guest speaker Elder Frank McQuay, Pastor of Faith, Deliverance Center, Davenport, Iowa. Music will presented by the First Choir.
• At Friendship Baptist Church on Sunday, October 23, 47 were counted in Sunday School and morning worship had an attendance of 66. The congregation was led in the singing of hymns by Mrs. Kristy Schott. Pastor Glenn Forman presented a message entitled “The Greatest Life,” with a text of John 10:10.
Mrs. Beverly LaRue presented a solo “Someone to Care” before the morning message. It was good to see several guests and some who had returned for morning worship who had been absent for several months!
On Sunday evening at 6 p.m., there were 24 in attendance for evening services.
Everyone is welcome to join us this week for Sunday School beginning at 9:30 a.m. and Morning Worship beginning at 10:45 a.m. During the morning service a “Noisy Offering” will be collected from the crowd by our young children. This special missions offering is designated for support of The Ruben L. South State Missions Offering. The morning message will be delivered by Pastor Forman. The congregation will be led in singing hymns by Mrs. Schott. Sunday morning special music will be presented by Bro. Glenn and his wife, Freeda.
Each 5th Sunday, Friendship hosts a Hymn Sing featuring special music from volunteers from those attending. The Hymn Sing is open to area churches and individuals are welcome to bring solos, ensembles, choir numbers, and special readings. RA’s and GA’s will also meet at 6 p.m. The children’s mission education is led by Mrs. Valory Wright.
Upcoming October events
October 28 at 7 p.m.-“The Lester’s” Live in concert
October 31 at 5 p.m.- Fall Festival (a safe, Christian family alternative to trick or treat–including games, prizes, and candy).
Visit our website or Facebook page for more information regarding the ministries of Friendship Baptist Church. Our website is www.friendshipbaptistmexico.net. Please call the church office 573-581-4038 for information, recordings of our services, or to arrange transportation to services.