President Paul Ray opened the February 21 meeting of the Vandalia Area Historical Society by welcoming those in attendance and asking for new discoveries or donations. Charlene Teague reported the following donations. Rusty Strother donated a Vandalia Recreation Corporation vest used in training gun safety to local youths. Jackie Marshall donated a framed front page of the St Louis Post Dispatch Daily Magazine, dated May 22, 1929 with pictures of some Illinois and Missouri high school graduation classes, one of which was Vandalia High School. Joey and Debbie Ridgeway donated a satin glove bag and 4 pairs of dress gloves worn by his mother. Jerry and Mary Williams donated a 1970-71 plan for Tri-County Park with a cost estimate of $100,000. Ed Horton donated a framed picture of the old Baptist Church in Curryville. Brenda Gower donated a copy of “The Story of Harbison-Walker Refractories Company”. Virginia Howdeshell donated some 50 letters, found in a house she bought, written to Opal Ware regarding family history. Virginia also brought in a stack of old Vandalia newspapers found in the former bank building at State and Main. Kevin Teague donated a ceramic winter scene he made several years ago. Elenore Schewe donated a box of Dr. J.C. Parrish family pictures and an album detailing Dr. Mary Alice Parrish’s fashions during her long and varied career. This album, compiled by Miss Schewe, chronicled a fashion show to raise funds for an A.A.U.W. scholarship. Also included in this donation were a 1910 and 1917 issue of the Vandalia Leader. Joy Davis donated a large number of books to our Geneology Library. All of these items are greatly appreciated.
After regular reports were read and accepted the discussion turned to the Card Party held in January. All of the positive comments indicate that it will become an annual event. Needs for the Geneology Library were discussed and funds were allocated for the purchase.
Names of possible speakers were suggested for future meetings and contacts will be made.
At the next meeting, a date will be set for the reopening of the museum which is closed for the winter. Arrangements can be made for a visit, however, by calling Charlene Teague at 573-594-3026 or Pat Trower at 594-3999. After setting the next meeting for March 21 at the Geneology Library at the Museum, the meeting adjourned at 8:15 p.m.